Thursday, February 26, 2009

Can animals read your mind?


Well, I think they can read mine, or there is at least one that can. Meet Natasha, my niece so to speak. She belongs to my sister and her husband...and this cat just loves me! I'm a city girl that lives in an apartment in the Philly suburbs, so when an opportunity to pet sit Natasha and her brother Boris in Jersey on several acres near the Delaware River comes along, I am so there. I can pick tomatoes and peppers in the garden and hit the pool afterwards.

So it was on one of my pet sitting excursions at my sister's house that I had an odd experience with my girl Natasha. I did my usual pick veggies in the garden then cool down in the pool thing. Went back inside to rinse my suit like a good girl with Natasha in tow, running ahead of me down the hallway to the bathroom, flopping on the floor in front of me over and over to get some attention.

Wet suit in hand I filled the bathroom sink with water and began to rinse my suit, all the while assuring her as she rolled on the floor and rubbed on my legs that I'd give her attention as soon as I hung my suit up to dry. Right after I said that, the phone began to ring. Not my house and most likely not for me, but I thought I better at least make an attempt to answer it
. I dried my hands and told Natasha I couldn't stop to pet her because now I had to get the phone. She got up off the floor, looked me right in the eyes, and went trotting off to the den....meanwhile I went trotting down the hallway to get the kitchen phone which abruptly stopped mid ring just before I could answer it. I picked it up anyway since I had just made the Herculean effort to get it, and there was still someone on the line. It was my Mom. I said "Oh I thought you hung up - the phone quit ringing..." she responded with,"...I was wondering why it took you so long to say something." I said, "What?" She said, "you answered, but didn't say hello until just now."

Right after that I heard what I thought was breathing and tapping on another extension in the house
. Great. I'm house sitting out in the middle of nowhere on 9 acres, supposedly alone. Heart in my throat I told my Mom not to hang up while I went to investigate the other extensions in the house... Seeing no hatchet murderer on the living room cordless I walked back towards the bedrooms and remembered that there was an extension in the den.. When i got to the den, - there was Natasha(Natty)- pawing at the phone receiver which she had knocked out of it's cradle and off the hook. It was dangling by it's cord...


I knew my sister would be checking her email while they were away, so I sent her a quick message that evening "Hey - why didn't you tell me Natty answers the phone?! It scared the crap out of me and by the way- how did you teach her to do that?". The next morning I had a response in my inbox. It said " ??????????".

When they got home from their trip I told them how I told the cat I had to get the phone and she took off to the den and answered it..and I got, you know..."that look" you get when you try to convince someone that something extraordinary really did happen and you are telling the truth...and they just don't really believe you... that's part of the reason for starting this blog. I can get all these weird items off my chest and know someone somewhere will read it - but I won't be able to see you give me that look... ;)

Followers